- The Asian American Avant-Garde by Audrey Wu Clark ISBN 978-1-4399-1227-0, Temple University Press (2015)
- Asian American Art: A History, 1850-1970, ISBN: 978-0-8047-5752-5, Stanford University Press 2008
- Asian/American/Modern Art: Shifting Currents, 1900-1970, ISBN: 978-0-520-25864-8, University of California Press 2008
- Asian Traditions Modern Expressions: Asian American Artists and Abstraction, 1945-1970, ISBN: 0-8109-1976-1, Harry Abrams, Inc., Publisher, 1997
- Creating a New World: Chinese Artists in America, by Yang Fang-chih, ISBN: 978-957-05-2833-6, published by Commercial Press LTD., 2013. Chinese language only.
- Japanese and Japanese American Painters in the United States: A Half Century of Hope and Suffering, 1896-1945, published in Japanese only, 1995
- Leading the Way: Asian American Artists of the Older Generation, Photographic Portraits and Biographical Sketches by Irene Poon, ISBN: 0-9707487-0-1, University of Washington Press 2001
- The Moment for Ink, ISBN: 978-1-4675-5806-8, published by San Francisco State University, 2013
- Round the Clock: Chinese American Artists Working in Los Angeles, by Sonia Mak, ISBN:9978-0-615-50202-1, published with the assistance of the Getty Foundation 2012
- They Painted From Their Hearts: Pioneer Asian American Artists Directory, ISBN: 0-295-97430-3, published Wing Luke Museum, 1994
- With New Eyes: Toward an Asian American Art History in the West, published by San Francisco University, 1995
- Views from Asian California, 1920-1965: An Illustrated History, ISBN: 0-9633968-0-3, published by Michael D. Brown, 1992. (Although my book was the earliest, now it is a welcome thin footnote to larger academic writings.)
* Many books and monographs recognize Asian American artists, but those listed above are specific to the topic.